Apple pie recipe
Here comes an apple pie recipe to warm you on those cold Australian winter evenings :) When last week the temperatures here in Cairns started to drop I got excited and had to make my first winter dessert. As I am trying to eat less sugar I have made this apple pie without. However, I do think the filling could really use a bit of maple syrup so that the pie has a bit more sweetness.
This is what you need:
- 6 cups of thinly sliced apples
- 350 ml (6 ounces) of apple juice (I used freshly squeezed juice)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- frozen pastry (2 sheets, depending on the size of your pie plate) OR you can make your own
To make your own pastry you need:
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 220 grams of butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tsp of ice water
This is how it's done:
Pie pastry dough: Firstly put the butter cubes in the freezer for 15 min. Place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse a couple of times. Next add half of the butter cubes from the freezer. Pulse a few times. Add the rest of the butter and pulse 6-8 times. You will end up with a mixture that still has a few pea sized butter pieces in it. Add 1/4 cup of ice water to the mixture, pulse again. Check consistency of dough. It should be a crumbly dough that just holds together when squeezed. You can add another 3 tsp of cold water if the dough is too crumbly.
Empty food processor bucket on lightly floured surface. Divide mixture in half and form 2 small dough balls. Wrap the dough balls in glad wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
Apple pie mixture: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). With a whisk mix together corn starch, 1/4 cup of apple juice and cinnamon. Place aside. Place sliced apples and apple juice in a pot and simmer until the apple slices are soft. Add apple juice/corn starch mixture. Stir until the apple pie filling has a thick consistency.
Take the 2 pastry dough balls out of the fridge and let them sit on a bench for 4 minutes. On a lightly floured bench top roll out each dough to a 3 mm thick round disk for the top and bottom of the pie. Alternatively use the pre-made pastry (just wait until it is completely defrosted or it will break). Place the bottom dough in your pie plate (if you are using a cheesecake spring form make sure you cover the sides with the dough). Scoop in the apple mixture and place the second rolled out dough on top. Squeeze the top and bottom dough together to close your pie. Cut two openings in the top of your pie.
Place in oven and bake for approx. 45 minutes in the middle part of your oven.
- Dec 11, 2017 Honey gingerbread men recipe Dec 11, 2017
- Nov 5, 2017 Mango, Banana, Macadamia ice cream Nov 5, 2017
- Oct 1, 2017 Lemon cake recipe Oct 1, 2017
- Jun 11, 2017 Coconut Jellies recipe Jun 11, 2017
- Apr 9, 2017 Apple pie recipe Apr 9, 2017
- Mar 18, 2017 Amazing carrot cake recipe Mar 18, 2017
- February 2017
- Jan 24, 2017 Breakfast Muesli with Cardamom Jan 24, 2017