For Europeans that are used to cold winter days leading up to Christmas it can be hard
to get into the Christmas spirit when living in the Tropics.
However, despite the advantage of not freezing your “butt” off and being able to celebrate Christmas sitting in your swimmers by the pool it is still nice to bring some European Christmas feels to your home.
And these are my top 5 tips:
- Candles – light candles in the evenings to get that special “hygge” feeling. By the way I can recommend this book (which probably a lot of you would already know)
- Don’t hold back when putting up decorations inside and outside your house. Set up a Christmas tree (even if it is just a fake one- it is acceptable in the Tropics)
- Watch as many Christmas movies as you can. My favourites are Kevin Home Alone, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, The Polar Express, Elf, Love Actually, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (released in year 2000) and a Christmas Carol
- Air-conditioner! Turn on your aircon to escape the heat and be able to rug up in front of the TV watching Christmas movies.
- Bake Christmas cookies (see a recipe for honey gingerbread men here) and have tea (Chai tea always reminds me of Christmas)
By the way to create the above gif I have tested a couple of my new hand lettering pens. I loved them all and have listed the names below:
The watercolour drawing of the Bird of Paradise flower I have made using Winsor & Newton Cotman Watercolours.
Have a Merry Christmas everyone.